Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may have nothing to eat or drink 8 hours before your scheduled procedure. You may have a small amount of water up to 2 hours prior to your surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- No smoking or chewing gum at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- Do not wear earrings or jewelry, wear lipstick, or excessive makeup on the day of surgery.
- Please wear a short sleeve shirt (if possible), loose fitting clothing, and low-heeled shoes.
- Please remove contact lenses before your appointment.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following general anesthesia.
- Please notify the office if you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset prior to surgery.
- Surgery appointments with general anesthesia or IV sedation are scheduled very tightly. Please notify us at least 24 hours prior to your appointment if you need to cancel your surgery.
Instructions #1 and #2 are safety precautions and if not followed your surgery may be cancelled.